Performance Racing Sails
Custom-laid fiber-aligned sail laminates
Unsurpassed racing technology
Racing technology delivering unsurpassed shape retention and performance.
Stratis pre-impregnated fiber technology provides unmatched flexibility in fiber orientation, accuracy of placement and superior lamination. All fibers are load bearing, converging to every load point. Producing stronger, lighter sails that are much smoother when set, hold their shape better with significantly less stretch, and last longer than conventional sails.
Stratis custom sail design and carbon fiber options deliver ultimate racing performance.
UV protection and durability
Stratis laminates using either clear UV absorbing films or films custom dyed with UV absorbers provide much greater protection from UV than standard PET film laminates. Taffeta options protect fibers and films from abrasion and UV damage, and can be incorporated on one or both sides of the sail.
Fiber paths laid to every reef and load point eliminate the potential distortion or laminate breakdown of conventional panel sails.
Advances over conventional sails
Sails fabricated in the conventional method by cutting and placing many separate panels, can only approximate the different load paths of a sail. Stratis™ fiber- aligned sails have fibers mapped directly along all load paths. Every fiber is load bearing, making a stronger, lighter and more durable sail.
Each Stratis sail is custom designed and custom manufactured in-house by Doyle Sailmakers
- Shape dynamics are designed in 3 dimensions for smooth shape transitions.
- Load paths are calculated and mapped to the performance specifications of each sail, ensuring accurate weight calculations and optimized lamination.
- Sections are laminated flat before shipping. Extremely high pressures ensure delaminating will not occur under sail.
- Taffeta plus Vectran, Carbon or Twaron yarn options. Vectran and Carbon provide stretch resistance with a higher modulus and much better flex properties than Kevlar.
- Anti-microbial coatings plus Ti02 coatings for more durable options.
- Stratis™ sails are 15% - 30% lighter than conventional panel sails.
- Color options available.